Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE
- 1 lb/454 g semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lb/227 g (2 sticks) unsalted butter, plus 1/2 tbsp/7.5 mL
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup/60 mL sugar
- 2-3 tsp/10-15 mL Original Double-Strength Vanilla
- 1/2 tsp/2.5 mL salt
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- 12 oz/450 mL semi-sweet dark baking chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup/250 mL heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp/5 mL Original Double-Strength Vanilla
- 1 tsp/5 mL Almond Extract or any Watkins extract of choice
Grease a 9-inch/22.5 cm spring form pan and line bottom with a parchment round. Combine the chocolate and butter in a bowl.
Set the bowl over simmering water or in the top of a double boiler. Melt the mixture, stirring constantly until smooth, about
5 minutes. Set aside.
Combine eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Mix with an electric mixer until frothy and almost doubled in volume,
about 5 minutes. Fold 1/3 of the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture. Repeat this process until all of the egg mixture
has been folded in. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake at 325°F/165°C for 45-50 minutes or until the cake has risen
and the edges are set.
Cool on a wire rack to room temperature. Remove spring form pan side, invert cake onto a plate, and peel off the parchment
paper. Reinvert cake on a serving platter.
Heat cream and chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and add extracts.
Drizzle chocolate sauce over cake and serve. Cake is very rich, makes apprx 12 servings.